If you are unsure exactly what you should order, below is a list of commonly asked questions that will hopefully help. If not, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as we are happy to help answer any rigging related question.
- Can I have less purchase on the kicker system?. Yes, just add the system option to remove one purchase
- Can I see the instructions as to how the systems are rigged? Yes, the rigging instructions for the kicker upgrade are here Kicker Upgrade Installation Guide
- I am unsure of what is best for me – do you offer free advice? Yes, we offer free advice on what we feel is best for you, based on years of sailing the Laser at championship level. Just contact us at email@example.com
- You list Harken and Allen based systems – which is best? From a weight perspective, the Harken block are much lighter. From a strength and functional perspective both are very similar. The Harken blocks are by far the most popular, and are the block type supplied with new UK supplied Lasers. The Allen blocks are an excellent economical solution.
- I like to rig my Laser differently. Do you offer custom systems? Yes. A quick walk around the Laser boat park at even a world championship will show that there is no ‘right way’ to a rig a Laser – a lot is down to personal preference, and we are happy to build up exactly what you want.
- Do I have to have everything spliced together? The answer is no, but there are a number of reasons why we splice our systems together. For the primary lines, the fixing to the new ‘soft attach’ blocks is important that it is done correctly, as an incorrectly fixed primary line can pull apart the head of the block. For the secondary lines, particularly the smaller Harken 18mm and Allen 20mm blocks, the size of the sheave makes it difficult to thread a 4mm control line through when a 3mm primary line has already been threaded through.
- Having a spliced system is great, but what happens when the ropes inevitably wear out? If you liked the original spliced system that we supplied we can rebuild the system using your original blocks. Just send the blocks back to us and we will replace and re-splice the lines for the listed price/metre of the ropes on our website – we can’t say fairer than that!
- I have just bought a new Laser and I have the bag of blocks and ropes that comes with it. Can you put it all together for me? Yes, we have done this for a number of customers. The bag of ropes that comes with a new Laser can be daunting. We can turn all those ropes and blocks into a ready to fit system from just £60.
- Can you fit your systems with other types of control line? Yes. Our standard secondary control line rope is FSE Robline Dinghy Control (which is standard on new Lasers) but we can supply most ropes that you may want. Other popular choices are English Braids continuous control line, naked 4mm Dyneema. We can also fit ropes from Gottifredi Maffioli. Some other rope types are not amenable to splicing and would be tied.